Enbridge said last week that it will restart the east segment of Line 5 in the Straits of Mackinac after receiving authorization from the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) and approval from Ingham County Circuit Judge, James Jamo.
According to a Sept. 9 news release issued by Enbridge, Vern Yu, executive vice president and president of liquids pipelines, said, “The decision to allow the restart of the east segment of Line 5 is very positive for the many residents and businesses in Michigan and the Great Lakes region who depend on the energy Line 5 delivers. Enbridge will continue to focus on the safe operation of the dual Line 5 pipelines at the Straits of Mackinac, ensuring the Great Lakes are protected while also reliably delivering the energy and feedstock that helps to fuel Michigan's and the region's economy.”
Following a review of the data from an in-line inspection of the east segment in the area around a damaged screw anchor, PHMSA indicated in a letter to Enbridge dated Sept. 4, that, “The review by PHMSA and its independent third-party expert did not identify any integrity issues. As no integrity issues have been identified in the area around the displaced anchor, PHMSA has no objection to Enbridge restarting the east leg of Line 5.”
Enbridge said that throughout this period it has kept the state of Michigan fully advised of the status of the west and east segment investigations and will continue to do so.
The west segment was returned to operation in July.